Recommended Reading Categories
The topics for articles and books recommended for reading are listed below, with the articles/books regarding each subject in the subheads following.
- Cell Groups
- Church Planting
- Church Planting
- Healthy Churches
- House Churches
- Small Groups
- Mission Plan
- Missional Church
- Mobilizing Members for Ministry
- Reaching Today's Postmodern World
- Secular books of interest to the church
Church Planting, General
- Dayton, E. R. and D. A Fraser. Planning Strategies for World Evangelism. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1990.
- Easum, Bill, Unfreezing Moves, Following Jesus into the Mission Field. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2001.
- Faircloth, Samuel D. Church Planting for Reproduction. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1991.
- Graham, Thomas. How to Select the Best Church Planters. Evangelical Missions Quarterly Vol. 23 (1): pp. 70-79, 1987.
- Maphurs, Aubrey. Developing a Dynamic Mission for Your Ministry. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1998.
- Malphurs, Aubrey, Planting Growing Churches for the 21st Century, 3rd edition. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2004.
- Mannoia, Kevin W. Church Planting: The Next Generation. Indianapolis: Light and Life Press, 1996.
- Moore, Ralph. Starting a New Church: The Church Planter's Guide to Success. Ventura, CA: Regal, 2002.
- Murray, Stuart. Church Planting: Laying Foundations. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 2001.
- Patterson, George and Richard Scoggins. Church Multiplication Guide: Helping Churches to Reproduce Locally and Abroad. Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 1993.
- Regele, Mike. Robust Church Development. Rancho Santa Margarita, CA: Percept, 2003.
- Saarinen, Martin F. The Life Cycle of a Congregation. Washington, DC: The Alban Institute, 1986.
- Shaller, Lyle E., Forty-four Questions for Church Planters. Nashville, TN: Abingdon1991.
- Stetzer, Ed, Planting New Churches in a Postmodern Age. Nashville: Broadman and Holman, 2003.
- Werning, Waldo J. The Seed-Planting Church: Nurturing Churches to Health. St. Charles, IL: ChurchSmart Resources, 2003.
Church Planting, American Anglo
- Becker, Paul. Dynamic Church Planting. Vista, CA: Multiplication Ministries, 1992.
- Logan, Robert E. and Steven L. Ogne. Church Planter's Toolkit. Pasadena, CA: Charles E. Fuller Institute for Evangelism and Church Growth, 1990.
- Malphurs, Aubrey. Planting Growing Churches for the 21st Century: A Comprehensive Guide for New Churches and Those Desiring Renewal. Grand Rapids, MO: Baker Book House, 1991.
- Maphurs, Aubrey. Advanced Strategic Planning: A New Model for Church and Ministry Leaders. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 1999.
- Murray, Stuart. Church Planting: Laying Foundations. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 2001.
- Schaller, Lyle E. Forty-Four Questions for Church Planters. Nashville, TN: Abingdon.
- Silva, Ron. Starting High Definition Churches. Ocala, FL: High Definition Resources, 2004.
- Wagner, C. Peter. Church Planting for a Greater Harvest. Ventura, Ca: Regal Books, 1990.
- Logan, Robert E., Sherilyn Carlton with Tara Miller. Coaching 101: Discover the Power of Coaching. St. Charles, IL: ChurchSmart Resources, 2003.
- Behnken, Kenneth W. Planting Missions Across Cultures. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1999.
- Foster, Charles R. Embracing Diversity: Leadership in Multicultural Congregations. The Alban Institute, 1997.
- Hesselgrave, David J. Planting Churches Cross-Culturally. Baker, 1980.
- Ligenfelter, Sherwood G. and Marvin K. Mayers. Ministering Cross-Culturally. Baker Books, 1986.
- Yee, Edmond. The Soaring Crane: Stories of Asian Lutherans in North America. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2002.
- Allen, Roland. The Spontaneous Expansion of the Church. Eerdman's, 1962.
- Barna, George. Growing True Disciples. Ventura, CA: Issachar Resources, 2000.
- Easum, Bill. Unfreezing Moves: Following Jesus Into the Mission Field. Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press, 2001.
- Haggard, Ted. Dog Training, Fly Fishing, and Sharing Christ in the 21st Century: Empowering Your Church to Build Community Through Shared Interests. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2002.
- Hunter, George G. III. The Celtic Way of Evangelism: How Christianity Can Reach the West Again. Nashville: Abingdon, 2000.
- Keifert, Patrick R. Welcoming the Stranger: A Public Theology of Worship and Evangelism. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1992.
- Luecke, David. Evangelical Style and Lutheran Substance: Facing America's Mission Challenge. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1988.
- Malphus, Aubrey and Michael Malphus. Church Next. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Academic & Professional, 2003
- Rainer, Thom S. Surprising Insights from the Unchurched. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2001.
- Rainer, Thom S. Effective Evangelistic Churches. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1996.
- Rainer, Thom S. The Unchurched Next Door. See review.
- Sweet, Leonald. Aqua Church, 264 pages. Loveland, Colorado: Group, 1999.
- Sweet, Leonard. Post-Modern Pilgrims. Fall, 160 pages. Nashville, TN: Broadman and Holman, 2000.
- Sweet, Leonard. Soul Tsunami: Sink or Swim in New Millenium Culture, 433 pages. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1999.
- Van Engen, Charles. God's Missionary People. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1995.
- Schwarz, Christian A. Natural Church Development. St. Charles, IL: ChurchSmart Resources, 1996.
- Schwarz, Christian A. Natural Church Development: A Guide to Eight Essential Qualities of Healthy Churches. St. Charles, IL: ChurchSmart Resources, 2000.
- Steinke, Peter L. Healthy Congregation. Bethesda, MD: Alban Institute,1996.
- Walling, Terry and Rick Tansey. Maximum Health (Manual) -leaders guide and participant manual. Anaheim, CA: Church Resource Ministries, 2003.
- Werning, Waldo J., 12 Pillars of a Healthy Church. St. Charles, IL: Churchsmart Resources, 2001.
House Churches/Cell Groups/Small Groups
- Finger, Reta Halteman. Paul and the Roman House Churches. Scottsdale, PA: Herald Press.
- Marables, Dwight. Groups Ablaze or SG - (www.missions.com) Small Group Training.
- Neighbour Jr., Ralph and Lorna Jenkins, eds. Where do We Go From Here? A Guidebook for the Cell Group Church. Houston, TX: Touch Publications, Inc., 1990.
- Barna, George. Building Effective Lay Leadership Teams. Ventura, CA: Issachar Resources, 2001.
- Blanchard, Ken and Sheldon Bowles. High Five! The Magic of Working Together. New York: HarperCollins, 2001.
- Callahan, Kennon L. Twelve Keys to an Effective Church. San Francisco: Harper, 1983.
- Callahan, Kennon L. Effective Church Leadership: Building on the Twelve Keys. San Francisco: Harper and Row, 1990.
- Cladis, George. Leading the Team-Based Church: How Pastors and Church Staffs Can Grow Together into a Powerful Fellowship of Leaders. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1999.
- Clapp, Rodney. A Peculiar People, the church as culture in a post-Christian society. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press 1996.
- Easum, Bill. Leadership on the Other Side (No Rules, Just Clues). Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2000.
- Ficken, Joch. Change: Learning to Lead and Living to Tell About It. Lima, OH: Fair Way Press, 1999.
- Hendrix, Olan. Three Dimensions of Leadership: Practical Insight on Management, Finance and Boards for Churches and Christian Organizations. St. Charles, IL: ChurchSmart Resources, 2000.
- Herrington, Jim, Mike Bonem and James H. Furr. Leading Congregational Change: A Practical Guide for the Transformational Journey. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2000.
- Kimball, Dan, The Emerging Church, Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003. See review.
- Luecke, David S. New Designs for Church Leadership. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1990.
- Malphurs, Aubrey. Being Leaders: The Nature of Authentic Christian Leadership. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2003.
- Martoia, Ron. Morph, The Texture of Leadership for Tomorrow's Church. Loveland, CO.: Group, 2003.
- Maxwell, John C. The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1998.
- Maxwell, John C. Developing the Leader Within You. Thomas Nelson, 2000.
- Maxwell, John C. The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader: Becoming the Person Others Will Want to Follow. Thomas Nelson, 1999.
- Oswald, Roy M and Otto Kroeger. Personality Type and Religious Leadership. Bethesda, MD: Alban Institute, 1988.
- Sine, Tom. Mustard Seed versus McWorld. Baker Books, 1999.
- Stanley Andy, The Next Generation Leader. Sisters, OR: Multnomah, 2003.
Marketing Your Church
- Barna, George. Marketing the Church: What They Never Taught You About Church Growth. Colorado Springs, CO: Navpress, 1988.
- Levinson, Jay and Seth Godin. The Guerrilla Marketing Handbook. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1994.
- Shawchuck, Norman, Philip Litler, Bruce Wrenn and Gustave Rath. Marketing for Congregations: Choosing to Serve People More Effectively. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1992.
- Arn, Charles. How to Start a New Service: Your Church CAN Reach New People. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 1997.
- Barna, George. Turn-around Churches: How to Overcome Barriers to Growth and Bring New life to an Established Church. Ventura, CA: Regal Books, 1993.
- Bowman, Ray with Eddy Hall. When Not to Build: An Architect's Unconventional Wisdom for the Growing Church. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1992.
- Carter, Stephen J. Pastors on the Grow: Continuing Education Can Improve Your Ministry. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1986.
- Joerz, Jerald C. and Paul T. McCain, eds. Church and Ministry: the Collected Papers of the 150th Anniversary Theological Convocation of The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. St. Louis: The Office of the President, The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, 1998.
- Maphurs, Aubrey. Ministry Nuts and Bolts: What They Don't Teach Pastors in Seminary. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel, 1997.
- Mead, Loren B. More Than Numbers: The Ways Churches Grow. Bethesda, MD: The Alban Institute, 1993.
- Mulder, David P. Narrative Preaching: Stories from the Pulpit. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1996.
- Richardson, Peter Tufts. Four Spiritualities: Expressions of Self, Expressions of Spirit - A Psychology of Contemporary Spiritual Choice. 213 pages. Palo Alto, CA: Davis-Black Publishing, 1996.
- Schaller, Lyle. The Interventionist. Colorado Springs, CO: Navpress, 1988.
- Schaller, Lyle. The Interventionist. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1997.
- Scudieri, Robert J. The Apostolic Church: One, Holy, Catholic and Missionary. Fort Wayne, IN: Lutheran Society for Missiology, 1996
- Strom, Mark. Reframing Paul: Conversations in Grace and Community. 243 pages. Downer's Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000.
- Sweet, Leonard, Brian D. McLaren, and Jerry Haselmayer. A is for Abductive: The Language of the Emerging Church. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003.
- Walther, C.F.W. The Congregation's Right to Choose Its Pastor. St. Louis: Concordia Seminary Publications Texts Series, 1997.
- Warren, Rick. The Purpose-Driven Church. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1996.
- Zizioulas, John D. Being as Communion: Studies in Personhood and the Church. Crestwood, NY: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1985.
- Malphurs, Aubrey. Advanced Strategic Planning. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 1999
- Behnken, Kenneth. Developing a Plan For Your Ministry (Accompanying workbook forAdvanced Strategic Planning) Irvine: Concordia University Press, 2004.
- Frost, Michael and Alan Hirsch: The Shaping of Things to Come, Innovation and Mission for the 21st Century Church. Hendrickson: Peabody, MS.,2003.
- Minatrea, Milfred, Shaped by God's Heart. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004. See review.
Mobilizing Members for Mission
- Wilson, Marlene. How to Mobilize Church Volunteers. Augsburg, 1990.
- Mallory, Sue. The Equipping Church and, with Brad Smith, The Equipping Church Guidebook. Zondervan, 2001.
- Ellis, Susan. From the Top Down: The Executive Role in Volunteer Program Success. Energize Books, 1996.
Today's Postmodern World
- Ashley, Jennifer and Mike Bickle eds. The Relevant Church. Lake Mary: Relevant Books, 2004.
- Barna, George. Generation Next: What you Need to Know About Today's Youth. Ventura, CA: Regal, 1995.
- Bandy, Thomas G., Kicking Habits upgrade edition. Nashville: AbingdonPress, 2001.
- Callahan, Kennon. The Future That Has Come. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2002.
- Callahan, Kennon. Visiting in an Age of Mission. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1994.
- Clegg, Tom and Warren Bird. Lost in America. Loveland: Group Publishing, 2001. See review.
- Hammet, Edward H., The Gathered and Scattered Church. Macon, GA: Smyth & Helwys, 1999.
- Heinecke, Paul T., Kent R. Hunter, and David S. Luecke. Courageous Churches: Refusing Decline, Inviting Growth. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1991.
- Hunter III, George G. Church for the Unchurched. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1996.
- Hunter III, George G. How to Reach Secular People. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1992.
- Kimball, Dan. The Emerging Church--Vintage Christianitiy for New Generations. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2003. See review.
- Malphurts, Aubrey and Michael Malphurs. Church Next. Grand Rapids: Kregel 2003.
- McIntosh, Gary L. Three Generations: Riding the Waves of Change in Your Church. Grand Rapids, MI: Revell, 1995
- McNeal, Reggie. The Present Future. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2003. See review.
- Mead, Loren B. Five Challenges for the Once and Future Church. The Alban Institute, 1996.
- Mead, Loren B. The Once and Future Church: Reinventing the Congregation for a New Mission Frontier. The Alban Institute, 1991.
- Miller, M. Rex. The Millennium Matrix. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass 2004.
- Rainer, Thom S. Surprising Insights From The Unchurched. Grand Rapids: Zondervan 2001.
- Reid, Alvin L. Radically Unchurched: Who they Are and How to Reach Them. Grand Rapids: Kregel Academic & Professional, 2002.
- Sweet, Leonard. Post-Modern Pilgrims: First Century Passion for the 21st Century World. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman, 2000.
- Sweet, Leonard, ed. The Church in Emerging Culture. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003.
Secular books with great insight for the Church
- Blanchard, Ken. Whale Done! The Power of Positive Relationships. New York: The Free Press, 2002.
- Blanchard, Ken. Gung Ho! Turn On the People in Any Organization. New York: William Morrow and Co. 1998.
- Boylan, Bob. Get Everyone in Your Boat Rowing in the Same Direction. Holbrook, MA: Adams Media, 1995.
- Collins, Jim. Good to Great. New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 2001.
- Ford, Kevin Graham and James P. Osterhaus. The Thing in the Bushes: Turning Organizational Blind Spots into Competitive Advantage. Colorado Springs, CO: Piñon Press, 2001
- Gladwell, Malcolm. The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 2000.
- Goleman, Daniel, Richard Boyatzis, and Annie McKee. Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Leadership. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 2002.
- Johnson, Spencer, M.D. Who Moved My Cheese? New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1998.
- Nanus, Burt. Visionary Leadership. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1992.
- Reingold, Howard. Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution. 215 pages. Cambridge, MA: Perseus, 2002.
- Barna, George. Building Effective Lay Leadership Teams. Ventura, CA Issachar Resources, 2001.
- Cladis, George. Leading the Team-Based Church. San Francisco, Jossey-Bass, 1999.
- Cordeiro, Wayne. Doing Church as a Team.
- Ott, E. Stanley. Transform Your Church with Ministry Teams
- Bakke, Ray with Jim Hart. The Urban Christian: Effective Ministry in Today's Urban World. Downers Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press, 1987.
- Conn, Harvie M., ed. Planting and Growing Urban Churches: From Dream to Reality. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 1997.
- Dennison, Jack. City Reaching on the Road to Community Transformation. Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 1999.
- Law, Eric H. F. The Bush Was Blazing But Not Consumed. St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 1996.
- Law, Eric H. F. The Wolf Shall Dwell with the Lamb. St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 1993.
- Linthicum, Robert C. City of God, City of Satan: A Biblical Theology of the Urban Church. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1991.
- Nunes, John. Voices from the City. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1999.